A couple of weeks ago I ventured off on another road trip to seek out more fantastic boutiques to carry glamjulz!
I packed my rockin outfits, my comfy clothes, my runners, my healthy snacks and my Mom! That’s right, my favourite travel buddy! We had a fantastic time. We left our cottage in the Muskoka’s on Monday morning at 7am and made it as far as Hearst, Ontario on the first day. I picked up a couple of new stores along the way as well! Wooo Hooo! The northern gals were digging the julz! We arrived at our Motel in Hearst after dark and asked if it was safe to go for a walk. We were told to stay away from the nature trail because it’s mating season and the bears were out. Ha Ha! Not exactly what I was thinking of when I asked if it was safe…..aaaah crime I asked? The nice girl behind the desk laughed and said, “No need to worry, there’s tons of cops here and they cruise up and down the highway and eat donuts all night, you’ll be fine.”
The trip was such an amazing experience. I always thought the Muskokas were a real Northern experience but there is so much more to see of this beautiful province. Deer casually walking down the street, Egli’s Sheep farm in Dryden ( We got the warmest slippers there!), Kenora Recreation Centre (saltwater pool, hot tub and a sauna…aaaaahhh heaven), Terry Fox Memorial in Thunderbay and you must see the Sleeping Giant there too! I have to say my favourite part of the whole trip was driving back along Lake Superior. That lake will take your breath away. I have never seen anything like it. The look outs along the way make you stop every half an hour to take a picture. The big hills and cliffs look like mini mountains, it’s truly unbelievable. We really lucked out with the weather too. We were not sure what to expect. Could have been snow as far north as Kenora but apparently we had the warmest weather in all of Ontario that week. The last Wednesday we were 200 km’s outside of Winnipeg and the Friday we were back in Muskoka for Thanksgiving weekend!
If any of you are planning a big northern road trip in the near future I have a couple of reccommendations:
1) Go to your public library and get some great books on CD! We listed to 5! It was amazing and really kept us alert for all that driving.
2) Bring a big cooler and eat 5 or 6 small meals a day if you can – cost effective and good to keep the energy level up
3) If you ever find yourself in Wawa, Ontario you must stay at the High Falls Motel and Cabins. Gorgeous log cabins…$69 a night….I could have stayed there and read books and relaxed for a month! It’s so perfect!
4) Stop at Agawa Indian Crafts on Highway 17 just north of Sault Ste Marie
5) We also stopped at an amazing store south of Sault Ste Marie that sold a huge variety of smoked fish, all caught in Lake Superior……Clarence’s Fish Market in Algoma Mills ON, the fish was delicious and they also had fresh frozen melt in your mouth Pickerel. Keep an eye open when you are south of The Sault…It’s on the west side of Hwy 17.
Enjoy this Province! We are so lucky!